This This digital to analog converter is even smaller than our original Sabre DAC and offers most of the originals' qualities at a even lower price and smaller size!
The HiFimeDIY Sabre Tiny was developed by DIY (do it yourself} enthusiasts in the purpose of making a really good but cheap dac that could compete against regular commercial DAC's costing many times as much. It utilises a DAC chip from ESS Technology, whose DAC chips is highly regarded. The ES9023 chip is their simplest DAC chip which keeps many of the features of their bigger brothers at a minimal cost. We made this new familiy member even smaller and cheaper
What is different from the slightly bigger brother?
- It uses the PCM2706 USB receiver chip in place of Tenor TE7022, which limits it to max 48kHz/16bit inputs
- 12Mhz osc instead of a crystal used in uae23.
- No optical output
- Might work on more devices (Android etc.)
- Volume level can not be controlled by volume hot keys (updated, it doesn't work in either MAC or Windows)
What is the same?
- Sabre ES9023 chip
- 2.2Vrms output
Which one should i get?
The new Uae Tiny is almost as good at a lower price. If you don't mind paying the additional dollars, go for the uae23 version (Hifimediy Sabre DAC). If you want to save a few bucks and don't need 96/24 this newcomer should be a good option.
- Mac, Windows and LInux computers.
- Confirmed working with iPad 3 (iOS 6.0.1) using this USB hub: http://hifimediy.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=90
-PCM2702 USB received chip might work with Android and other non standard devices
- Output on 3.5mm headphone jack.
- No drivers required for Mac, Windows and Linux!
- Normal line level output (2Vrms) when connected to amplifiers/preamps. For headphones the level decreases down to 1Vrms for 32ohm headphones
Highlights about Sabre ES9023 dac chip:
- The sound go straight out of the DAC chip and into your headphones or amplifier. It is not needed that the sound signal go through a capacitor to remove a DC voltage, there is no DC voltage to remove! This omits the need of a coloring cap which adds costs and reduces sound quality.
- Jitter Eliminator! The ES9023 utilISed patented HyperstreamTM architecture and Time Domain Jitter Eliminator.
- 112db DNR
USB (receiver) PCM2706:
- Accepts up to 48kHz/16bit
Note: Normally amplifier inputs are from 10K to 100K ohm. Normal headphones are from 32 ohm to 250ohm.